Surprise Salted Caramel Brownies
*Okay, so this recipe started life with Ed Kimber (GBBO winner, 2010) but i'm pretty sure he would have sanctioned the use of extra chocolate items..
180g plain flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp flaky sea salt
300g dark chocolate (65-75% cocoa solids. I use Menier 70%)
200g unsalted butter
150g golden caster sugar
220g light brown sugar
4 large happy eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Optional: 20 mini Creme Eggs (allow extra for snacking)
Optional: Salted Caramel Filling
175g golden caster sugar
Pinch flaky sea salt
150ml double cream
10g unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 180/fan 160/gas 4. Grease brownie tin & lay a strip of baking paper down the centre to make extracting the brownies easier.
- Sift flour & cocoa into a bowl with salt and set aside. You'll be seeing that bad boy later.
- In a pan, melt butter & chocolate together, whisk in the sugars then remove from the heat. Whisk in the eggs & vanilla until combined and thickened.
- Fold in the flour mixture. Some flecks of flour are okay, don't be too brutal mixing.
- Pour into tray then push Creme Eggs into mixture at intervals.
To add salted caramel filling:
- Put sugar in a pan and melt until dark brown, remove from heat before it starts to smoke.
- Gently add the salt & half the cream. It will froth like a mofo so be careful.
- Add remaining cream & butter. If required, return to heat to smooth. Pour into a glass receptacle to cool.
- When putting brownie batter in tray, pour half then pour cooled caramel on top, leaving a 2cm wide gap round the edge. Then pour remaining brownie batter on top.
- Bake for 35-45 mins, remove when skewer comes out a little dirty (you want these babies moist)
- DISCLAIMER: Distribute with caution; all recipients of these brownies will want to have sex with you.