Victoria Sponge - Regular & Rainbow
Eggs (3 or 4 depending on how hungry you are) then weigh them.
Same weight in butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
Ditto caster sugar
Ditto self raising flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
Milk, as required
Food colouring (red, blue, yellow)
For the filling
Raspberry or strawberry jam
Royal icing with hundreds & thousands
White chocolate ganache (that's another story for another day!)
Fresh raspberries/strawberries (depending on your jam of choice)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Grease and line 2 x 18cm/7in cake tins with baking paper (I use silicon 'tins')
- Cream the butter and the sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little extra milk if necessary, to create a batter with a dropping consistency.
- Mix colouring together to create purple (b+r), pink, orange (r+y), green (b+y)
- Separate batter into bowls, gently fold in colouring
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins and gently spread out with a spatula. Repeat in pairs until you have the desired number of layers.
- Spoon alternate colours into tins then swirl colours together with a skewer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes, then remove from the tin and place onto a wire rack.
- Carefully sandwich the cakes together with jam, lemon curd or whipped cream and berries or just enjoy on its own...