Banana & Strawberry Bread (No one needs to know it's actually cake)
I have another recipe for this which is more along the lines of a bread.. but it's such a faff to make I eventually decided this cheat version was much tastier and time efficient!
Start off with a basic speedy Victoria Sponge recipe like this
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
2-3 very ripe bananas
2 handfuls of strawberries, chopped to a size of your liking (I recommend sugar cube-ish)
1 handful of almonds
Icing with a drop or two of food colouring (a little goes a mile, and stains for days - be careful!)
Experiment with different fillings in lieu of my suggestions; blueberries, walnuts, chocolate chips...
Instead of using a regular loaf tin, use a mini one to make snack-sized portions!
- Preheat the oven to around 165C/330F/Gas 3. I like mine cooler than for a regular sponge as the banana makes the cake gooey and it takes longer to cook - by setting a low heat you achieve a full bake without burning the outside.
- Grease a loaf tin (or 2 if you're making an extra loaf to gift!)
- Cream the butter and the sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Using a food processor or Nutribullet, whizz up the bananas and almonds
- Stir the banana mix into the batter
- Add the baking powder to the flour and sieve. Fold into the batter a little at a time.
- Add in your chopped strawberries and gently fold in - don't worry if there are some specks of flour visible
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin(s)
- Allow loaf to cool in the tin before transferring to a plate, garnishing as you wish and enjoying with friends over a lovely cup of tea.