Chocolate Mousse for Greedy Grown-ups
170g dark chocolate (I use Menier 70%)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
4 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp golden caster sugar
100g full-fat Greek yoghurt
35ml spirit/liqueur of choice
Garnish of choice (raspberries, orange zest, crushed nuts....)
- Break the chocolate up and place in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water (don't fill the water high enough to touch the bottom of the bowl)
- Mix together the alcohol, vanilla & cocoa powder and stir into the melted chocolate then set aside to cool
- If the melted chocolate has become too thick, stir in a few teaspoons of boiling water and it should immediately become smooth again
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks, then whisk in the sugar until thick and glossy
- Beat the yoghurt into the cooled chocolate then fold in the egg white with a large metal spoon, ⅓ at a time. Be careful not to over-do it as the mousse will deflate!
- Spoon the mousse into your vessels of choice and chill for a couple of hours, or ideally overnight. Garnish & serve!